Happy Groundhog Day!
Groundhog day is a pretty interesting American and Canadian holiday (to say the least).
It began as a custom of the German community in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania in 1887. On Candlemas, people would gather together early before sunrise in order to watch for a groundhog to emerge from its burrow. According to the folklore (which can be traced back to ancient European lore), if the groundhog emerges and sees its shadow, then we will have six to seven more weeks of winter. However, if the groundhog doesn’t see its shadow (in other words, if it’s a cloudy day) then spring will come early.
Although Groundhog Day was a widespread tradition by 1993, the fantasy-comedy film Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray helped increase national interest in the annual event. The film follows an arrogant reporter, Phil Connors, who is assigned to cover the Groundhog Day event in Pennsylvania. The reporter finds himself in a time-loop where he experiences the same day over and over again. It’d be a shame to spoil it so we’ll stop the summary there but the film was added to the United States National Film Registry as being deemed “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” – so if you haven’t seen it, definitely check it out.
Thanks to the popularity of the Groundhog Day film in the US, the holiday’s name alone is enough to make people think of repetition and déjà vu. And it’s in that spirit that we’ve chosen today to highlight our 10 most popular posts – the ones that our readers have come back to again and again.
- Six Apps to View and Edit Office Documents on iPhone and iPad
- 5 Affordable Apps for Trade Show Managers to Capture Leads at Shows
- Three Networking Gadgets That Are Transforming the Event Industry
- 8 Powerful Conference Call Platforms Worth Considering
- Robots Are Joining Us in the Events Industry
- Virtual Reality And the Future of Event Planning
- How to Write a Winning Proposal
- Facebook Just Launched an Events Discovery App – Here’s How to Use it for Events
- An Interview with the CEO of Buzz Registration, Megan Buzzetta
- You’re Where? Top Tech for Finding People at Live Events
Do you have a favorite post or article about events that you find yourself returning to again and again? Let us know in the comments below!
Latest posts by Kaylynne Hatch (see all)
- Don’t Forget To Ask These Questions At Your Next Summer Site Visit - May 2, 2017
- April 2017 News Roundup - April 28, 2017
- How Emerging Tech is Transforming Device Battery Life - April 24, 2017